Today I went through an interesting issue on IIS 7.5 on Windows server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition; we have configured one website on the server which is part of Web Farm. Website was getting browsed and everything was going smooth after few hours we got call that one of the pages url in website is asking “Windows Credentials”
And our troubleshooting started we have checked mots of parameters like from which server it is asking windows credentials and come to know it’s windows 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition server.
Checked in IIS features view for Authentication à Is windows Authentication is enabled for the site and found it was Disabled.
Then checked for URL name and come to know the folder name à it was /Reports/………..aspx, tried by renaming the folder name from Reports to newreports so that url will be /NewReports/………..aspx and it started working that means it was not permissions related issue.
Checked for software installed on server, in the list I found SQL SERVER 2008 R2 is installed and its reporting server also.
So for RnD disabled Reporting service of SQL server 2008 R2 and site started giving error “Service Unavailable” but in IIS the application pool was running which means it was referring to Reporting Service of SQL server so I have uninstalled reporting service of SQL Server and magic happened website with url /Reports/…….aspx started working J
It means SQL Server’s 2008 R2 Reporting service and IIS 7.5 on same system may cause issue for url containing /Reports/……aspx in it.